[oe] chromium detected as stripped

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 16:06:09 UTC 2017

On Tue 2017-08-15 @ 11:53:42 PM, Andreas Müller wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 6:23 PM, Raphael Kubo da Costa
> <raphael.kubo.da.costa at intel.com> wrote:
> > Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> what are main architectures targetted with crosswalk ? I think scope is
> >> important, since meta-browser supports, almost all oe-core supported
> >> architectures. including x86/arm/mips/ppc, any cross build patches are
> >> required in anycase, but architecture patches will be additional if you
> >> were only considering a subset of architectures.

I was wondering the same thing myself :-) This recipe lists "armv7a" in
COMPATIBLE_MACHINE but the (32-bit version of) raspberrypi3, for
example, is armv7ve. Therefore I get:

	ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'chromium'
	chromium was skipped: incompatible with machine raspberrypi3 (not in COMPATIBLE_MACHINE)

> > There's nothing Crosswalk-related in my Chromium recipe; it's in
> > meta-crosswalk simply due to a historical accident and the fact that I
> > haven't found a proper home for it so far.

Okay, good to know.

> > With that said, I've tested my builds with x86, x86-64, ARMv7 (IIRC
> > Chromium doesn't support earlier ARM processors) and aarch64.

Can you provide a list of "MACHINE = ..." that were used?

> I think the update stopper for chromium on meta browser is the new
> build system (don't remember the name).

Maybe you're referring to "gn"? If so, it's not a show-stopper. The source
tarballs for chromium now include working sources for gn that can be built
prior to the configure step.

gn is a "makefile generator" much like the autotools. It's not the build
system itself. However, instead of generating makefiles for make (as the
autotools does), gn generates ninja files for ninja (which is the build
system, and remains unchanged from earlier versions of chromium).

> To take this step and have a
> more recent version of chromium in meta-browser would be really great!

The problem I was having was in trying to force the build system to use the
toolchain I wanted it to use. The Igalia people solved this problem by
tricking the build system to think it was building for CrOS, and then
redefining the toolchain for CrOS to use the toolchain generated by OE. This
worked for x86_64 (minnowboard) but would fail for the raspberrypi3 with
"illegal instruction". So somewhere in the build, the specified toolchain was
being ignored and the host's toolchain was being used instead.

I'd be happy to work on trying to integrate Raphael's excellent work into
meta-browser. However, it depends on nodejs, and nodejs is currently failing
to build (Martin's "State of Bitbake World" just exploded in the last
iteration). I'm looking into that now, somewhat. node hasn't been happy since
the switch to gcc7.

There are (now) a number of distros that make a distribution for the
raspberrypi, many of which include chromium. It would be great if it were
easy/possible to find the scripts/steps/setup they're using for comparative
reasons:
	- raspbian
	- suse
	- fedora