[oe] Splitting meta-oe?

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 18:02:54 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 06:24:09PM +0100, Andreas Müller wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com> wrote:
> > The recent storm of breakage in meta-oe caused by recipe specific sysroots
> > was quite dramatic:
> >
> > ross at flashheart ~/Yocto/meta-oe ((044e518...))
> > $ git grep PNBLACKLIST| wc -l
> > 320
> >
> > Is it time to talk about splitting meta-oe into smaller real repositories
> > so they can be maintained at their own pace by more maintainers?
> >
> > Ross
> What exactly gets better by splitting?

I agree with Andreas.

1) RSS is good thing.

2) The breakage wasn't caused by lack of maintainers (at least I don't
   think that I or Joe were the bottleneck for integrating the fixes).

3) More maintainers doesn't mean more contributions from people actually
   using now broken components, it's actually easier to just send a fix
   than to be a maintainer of some layer just to be able to also merge
   your fix yourself.

4) It doesn't look so dramatic if it turns out that 200 of those
   blacklisted recipes weren't actually used by anyone still active in
   OE ecosystem.

5) If someone wants to replace me as meta-oe maintainer, go ahead, it
   stopped being fun for me long time ago, now it's just slightly annoying
   routine which takes my free time I would rather invest in something
   cooler

Regards,