[oe] Actually installed packages

Max Krummenacher max.oss.09 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 10:56:27 UTC 2018

Hi

> Sorry, I just have a last question about those packages.
> In bitbake.conf, you can find this :
>
> PACKAGE_BEFORE_PN ?= ""
> PACKAGES = "${PN}-dbg ${PN}-staticdev ${PN}-dev ${PN}-doc ${PN}-locale
> ${PACKAGE_BEFORE_PN} ${PN}"

This is the default list of packages which together with the
corresponding FILES_* variables define what packages with what
content get created.

See also the following links into the documentation:
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.5/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#new-recipe-packaging
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.5/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#splitting-an-application-into-mul
tiple-packages

> This means that all those packages (whatever the recipe is) will be
> automatically installed

No, that is plain wrong. The packages will get created but if they get
installed or not is up to the image recipe you are building.

Packages get installed because they are listed in IMAGE_INSTALL
variable of the image recipe or they are RDEPENDS, RRECOMMENDS of
a package which gets installed.

>  if the PACKAGES variable is not redefined in the
> recipe (so if '=' is used and not '+=' or *append) *So if I don't want
> those packages for one of my software/library, I have to explicitely
> specify it in the recipe ?

I guess that is the wrong question, yes if you don't want a specific
package you would need to not have it in the PACKAGES variable.
I think though that I've seen strange things happening when not
having the defaults (-dbg, -dev, ...) though.

However,

if your install task installs files which you do not want in any package,
then you rather should delete those files before packaging them, i.e.:
do_install_append () { rm -f ${D}/usr/bin/not_to_be_distributed }

if the defaults package files into the wrong package then mess with the
FILES_* variable.

Max