[oe] Splitting meta-oe?

Vesa Jääskeläinen dachaac at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 16:54:35 UTC 2018

On 20/02/2018 12.45, Burton, Ross wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is now a good time to talk about splitting up meta-oe?  Some layers are
> actively developed and maintained (one example: meta-python), others are
> basically bitrotting and only get touched when something else causes them
> to break world builds (one example: meta-gnome).  I've long felt that
> meta-oe should be split up and the high quality layers managed in their own
> repositories so patches to them don't get held up by breakage in other
> sub-layers.
>
> Another advantage of splitting out the high quality layers is that we'd
> like to look at running more community layers through the Yocto
> autobuilder, and granular layers make that easier to manage.
>
> Comments?
>
> Ross
Other related problem to meta layer management is that should there be
recommended scheme for meta layer priority usage. Now they are a bit
randomly used in different layers as there is no guidance what priority
should be used for what purpose.

Eg. what should in-house layers use so that they fit properly in scheme
and does not conflict with layer X that can be found from github.

Eg. we had to once re-base our layer priorities due to conflicts in
priorities.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen