[oe] Splitting meta-oe?

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 18:49:05 UTC 2018

On 2/20/18 2:45 AM, Burton, Ross wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is now a good time to talk about splitting up meta-oe?  Some layers are
> actively developed and maintained (one example: meta-python), others are
> basically bitrotting and only get touched when something else causes them
> to break world builds (one example: meta-gnome).  I've long felt that
> meta-oe should be split up and the high quality layers managed in their own
> repositories so patches to them don't get held up by breakage in other
> sub-layers.

lets improve them and add them to YP, you might mask the ones you don't
like, feed the results back to community and lets see what then
maintainers think about split etc. IMO split is least of issues. patches
get held up for oe-core too because they break meta-gpl2 :) its just
nature of stuff.

split should not be take out these layers because some folks are now
interested in them and leave others, because that will create another
meta-oe in few years. If split has to happen it has to happen by
completely retiring meta-openembedded.

> Another advantage of splitting out the high quality layers is that we'd
> like to look at running more community layers through the Yocto
> autobuilder, and granular layers make that easier to manage.

why do we have to split layers for them to be usable with YP
autobuilder, I fail to understand.