[oe] Splitting meta-oe?

Tim Orling ticotimo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 18:00:22 UTC 2018

The recent improvements to the Auto Upgrade Helper have made maintenance of
meta-perl less effort and therefore you have seen an uptick in my updates
to recipes. I also plan to mass-add ptest to all perl module recipes
"sometime soon", which will further simplify my upgrade workflow and add to
the confidence of said recipes. My upgrade workflow touches all recipes in
oe-core, meta-oe and meta-perl that fit a lib*perl regex.

I will note, however, that we are revisiting meta-cpan and that may
ultimately be the preferred perl layer. If you really heavily on perl
modules, please comment on whether meta-cpan would fit your needs.

Derek and others have been doing a great job keeping meta-python up to
date. I mostly jump in when there are trickier failures that need more
concentrated effort. I would like to see increased testing (more packages
with ptest), but that is trickier with python recipes as there are many
more approaches to testing than there are in perl. I am happy with the
current efforts to keep recipes up to date as a priority. I would like to
see complete coverage of python3 for all recipes that are capable in
meta-python.

I am open to discussion about what direction we go. Individual layers that
are curated and built together by YP auto builders sounds like an
intriguing path. If this was coupled with increased ptest or testimage
usage, our confidence in layer quality would go up dramatically.

Cheers,

--Tim