[oe] Splitting meta-oe?

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 18:28:02 UTC 2018

I still fail to see how splitting the layers into separate repositories
will magically help with the quality of recipes stored there.

meta-python, meta-perl, meta-filesystems, meta-gnome, meta-networking,
meta-webserver, meta-xfce all depend on meta-oe layer.

Build testing fewer layers in "world" builds will probably lower the
overall quality of the layers (and their compatibility with each other).

Building the same set of layers in "world" builds just from different
repositories, won't make the build failures go away, it will just cause
more work for Armin or whoever will be willing to continue running those
builds.

Testing some layers like meta-python and meta-perl on YP auto builder would
be nice, but why do they need to be in separate repository for that?

Making meta-networking, meta-python and meta-perl not to depend on meta-oe
is also nice goal, but again not blocked by all these layers sharing the
same git repository. Creating new
meta-shared-stuff-nobody-knows-how-to-call-this-layer as common dependency
for these 3 is also possible in meta-oe git repository (even easier to
switch to then creating new repository for each of them).

Armin is still merging patches e.g. to meta-python even when last clean
"bitbake world" status was on 2017-05-03. So don't make it sound like
meta-gnome is blocking meta-python progress. FWIW: There is only one
failing recipe in meta-gnome and at least 7 failing in meta-networking (to
be fair 5 of them are caused by very recent kernel upgrade).

If the git repository has the reputation (not the layers you're using from
there), then I can say that oe-core git repository is quite bad, because it
has meta-skeleton which doesn't have anything useful for me and has only 4
commits in last 2 years.

Regards,