[oe] meta-java configuration

Richard Leitner richard.leitner at skidata.com
Thu Oct 25 13:09:40 UTC 2018

Hi Kyle,

On 10/24/18 11:15 PM, Kyle Russell wrote:
> It looks like the only javac that meta-java exposes through its bbclasses
> comes from libecj-bootstrap-native 3.6.2.
That's definitely true.

> A few years ago, it looked like
> there was an attempt to allow openjdk-8-native to provide
> virtual/javac-native, but it has since been reverted.

As I'm not into the meta-java stuff that long I do not know anything
about it... Do you have any pointers to ML discussions?

> I think I understand libecj is needed as part of the bootstrap process to
> build openjdk, but if other layers want to build newer java code using
> javac from openjdk 8 once available after bootstrap, does meta-java provide
> support for using javac from openjdk-8-native, or is the expectation that
> other layers would depend directly on openjdk-8-native and setup
> EXTRANATIVEPATH as needed to reach its tools?

Yeah, ecj is needed for bootstrapping the jdk. For more details please
take a look at docs/bootstrap-flow.txt.

AFAIK currently using openjdk-8-native seems like the only solution.
Nonetheless I'm open for any patches to enhance this behaviour ;-)

> Maybe this is planned future work, but I wanted to make sure I was
> configuring the layer correctly and using it as intended.

Currently (at least) I'm not having any future plans in this direction,
but as mentioned above I'm open for discussions and/or patches!

> Thanks!
>
> Kyle

hope that helps...

regards;Richard.L