[oe] meta-java configuration

Kyle Russell bkylerussell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:46:50 UTC 2018

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 9:09 AM Richard Leitner <richard.leitner at skidata.com>
wrote:

> > A few years ago, it looked like
> > there was an attempt to allow openjdk-8-native to provide
> > virtual/javac-native, but it has since been reverted.
>
> As I'm not into the meta-java stuff that long I do not know anything
> about it... Do you have any pointers to ML discussions?

Yes, I was specifically referring to
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-java/commit/?id=dfb21b449dd652b99bc4725796d143e8c9779cd6
.

> Yeah, ecj is needed for bootstrapping the jdk. For more details please
> take a look at docs/bootstrap-flow.txt.

Thanks!  I actually had missed that doc and was just looking at the README.

> AFAIK currently using openjdk-8-native seems like the only solution.

Nonetheless I'm open for any patches to enhance this behaviour ;-)

Ok, I will try to keep my eyes open for possibilities.  I didn't see any
documentation that described how to compile java code from other layers
using recent JDKs provided by meta-java, so I was looking for validation
that I was on the right track. :)  If I come up something I think would be
an enhancement, I'll send out a proposal.

Thanks again!
Kyle