[oe] [OE-core] [Openembedded-architecture] Dropping armv5 and armv5e tunes in 2.7

Andrea Adami andrea.adami at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 12:10:33 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 12:21 AM Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Adrian
>
> On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 2:59 PM Adrian Bunk <bunk at stusta.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 02:01:42PM -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
> > > Hello All
> > >
> > > You might have noticed a recent commit in gcc trunk
> > >
> > > https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=commit;h=b232e6b58e3766bc66fe08fdb7bcba1bdadda8a2
> > >
> > > Which removed support for deprecated -march=armv5 and armv5e, this
> > > will be released along with gcc-9 release which is upcoming and we
> > > might be able to add gcc9 to 2.7 release or 2.8 release for sure.
> > >
> > > We still have non-thumb tunes for armv5 and armv4 in our tune pack, I
> > > would like to propose a patch to remove them.
> >
> > Note that gcc 9 does *not* remove non-thumb armv4 support.
> >

> yes that's right. However, I was taking this time to find out if we can drop all
> the ones besides armv5te even if gcc supported it unless there were OE users
> who are still interested in supporting them and had devices running OE
> which need them
>
> > Non-thumb armv5/armv5e have been removed due to
> > "have no known implementations".
> >
> > Non-thumb armv4 support was deprecated in gcc 6 together with armv2/armv3,
> > but there are still people using recent gcc on StrongARM - which is
> > non-thumb armv4.
>
> OK, that's a fair point, however, in OE's case I only have reports from users
> with armv4t devices, but it we can keep the armv4 arm-only tunes around along
> with the arm-thumb v4 ones

Khem,

on the kernel side it looks like RMK will not let die amrv4 so easily...

I still have around that Zaurus collie sa1100 armv4 and I think OE is
the only toolchain offering EABI for armv4
My plans were to lead it up to the upcoming linux v.5.0 so it should
not take long.
But all this is for fun I higly doubt there are still 'users'.

So IMHO it is premature to remove armv4.
Cheers
Andrea