[oe] RFC: Add DISTRO_FEATURES(xfce) to control meta-xfce

Hongxu Jia hongxu.jia at windriver.com
Fri Jun 28 14:23:51 UTC 2019

On 6/28/19 8:58 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 10:20:36AM +0800, Hongxu Jia wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Currently, I am improving OE to follow Yocto Project Compatible,
>> One rule of Yocto Project Compatible is when a new layer is added,
>> it should not affect other layer, but unfortunately, bbappend in
>> meta-xfce broke the rule.
>>
>> So I suggest to add DISTRO_FEATURES(xfce) as a switch to control,
>> in short term, we could use it to control bbappend in meta-xfce,
>> in long term, we could use it to control more xfce specific features
>>
>> (As a alternative way, I also tried to remove bbappend directly,
>> but I found the existence of bbappend is indeed necessary)
> blueman upstream defaults to installing the files for thunar-sendto.
> Andreas, was there any specific reason why you made this conditional
> instead of keeping it enabled unconditional with only an RSUGGESTS
> on thunar?

Currently DISTRO_FEATURES(xfce) is used to control this bbappend,

if we could merge the bbappend to recipe thunar, I think it is not

necessary to add DISTRO_FEATURES(xfce) in short term

> gdmflexiserver looks like a workaround for something that should be
> fixed properly instead to me.
> But short-term adding it to the normal lxdm recipe in meta-oe might
> be an options?

No need to add extra lxdm, I am working to remove this bbappend,

and modify xfce4-panel to use lxdm to instead of lightdm directly,

we do not need this bbappend to provide a fake gdmflexiserver

//Hongxu