[OE-core] [CONSOLIDATED PULL 14/16] distro-tracking: update data for some toolchain recipes

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 18:30:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Saul Wold <saul.wold at intel.com> wrote:
> On 10/19/2011 10:00 AM, Khem Raj wrote:

>>> Phil:
>>>
>>> It's used by the tools that build http://packages.yoctoproject.org and to
>>> help recipe manage maintainer-ship and track what needs updating.
>>
>> This could be managed via meta-data in packages I believe all that
>> information is there.
>>
> Khem,
>
> I am not quite following, are you suggesting incorporating the
> distro_tracking_fields info into the final packages (this word is overloaded
> sometimes), or adding it the recipe bb files?

I think this information is better generated at build time. Since that
will be accurate and the meta data can be

> If adding it to the recipe bb files, this was discussed and deemed
> inappropriate, as it's too dynamic and would clutter the recipe.

is it more dynamic than making any other change to the recipe ?
in other words are there chances that you just need to change the
recipe to mark this information.

> Sau!
>>>
>>> Many upstreams we can't track if updates are required automagically, so
>>> we
>>> need a place to record when the last manual check was, also possible
>>> reasons
>>> why we should not update to newer versions, ...

hmm manual check means it has to be done manually is there any thing
that needs it ?

I think unless they are distro specific which seems not since they are
in oe-core
they could exist in recipes  thats my opinion.