[OE-core] does it make sense to define INITSCRIPT_* without inheriting update-rc.d?

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Sat Jun 30 15:35:19 UTC 2012

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012, Andrei Gherzan wrote:
>
>> No. It won't make a difference. Or actually it makes a tiny
>> difference: check package.bbclass, function named gen_packagevar.
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>>
>>         currently figuring out details of INITSCRIPT_*, and noticed that the
>>        recipe file irda-utils_0.9.18.bb assigned values to both
>>        INITSCRIPT_NAME and INITSCRIPT_PARAMS without inheriting update-rc.d.

Anything using those variables should inherit the class.  Otherwise it may not
work as expected down the line when things change.

The purpose of the classes for useradd, update-rc.d and alternatives is to help
automatically generate the pre/post package install scripts in a standard way.

Eventually I would like to see all of the manual pre/post scripts disappear in
favor of class generated.  This will help us manage transitions to new
technologies such as systemd...