[OE-core] LXC - linux container support in OE

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 05:45:46 UTC 2014

Hi Sanjay

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Dorairaj, Sanjay
<Sanjay_Dorairaj at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Can someone let me know the current state of OE support for LXC containers?
> Is the current implementation of LXC support stable enough to be used in a
> fielded product? Has anyone implemented this in their products and if so,
> are there any lessons-learnt or case studies that could be shared?
>
> I see that there are recipes in place for this -
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-virtualization/tree/recipes-containers/lxc/lxc_0.9.0.bb?h=master
>
> Appreciate the help!

I have deployed containers from yocto however it was using a different
kernel version. We ran into issues when number of containers grew to
be
large, e.g. file sytem accesses on base kernel took the CPU, we also
experienced severe degradation in network traffic when containers grew
larger
than 1000, we were using 1Gig link and there were plans to use 10Gig interfaces.

We experimented first with containers made out of ubuntu system which
were quite large in size and the problems  with file systems showed
very easly
however the yocto containers were very small in size approx 20M in
size compared to 300M ubuntu containers, and we could launch 1000
containers
so the size of the container seemed to matter.

The base system running the container was ubuntu system so we do not
know if systemd could have helped us with resource allocation.

The box underneath was with 16G of RAM with Haswell CPU.