[OE-core] Opkg 0.2.3

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Fri Oct 31 10:20:38 UTC 2014

On 31 October 2014 07:14, Michael Gloff <mgloff at emacinc.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Paul Barker <paul at paulbarker.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 30 October 2014 19:15, Michael Gloff <mgloff at emacinc.com> wrote:
>> > I would also at this time like to propose changing the default list
>> > directory from /var/lib to something else (/usr/lib ?). On a read only
>> > rootfs, everything in /var/lib/ gets mounted on the tmpfs, therefore
>> > packages installed get lost.
>>
>> Changes in v0.3.0 will make this much easier to configure. You'll be
>> able to set cache_dir, lists_dir, info_dir, lock_file and status_file
>> in opkg.conf. I'd rather we left the defaults as-is and use those
>> settings once v0.3.0 is released. v0.3.0 will also create any
>> directories needed if they don't exist. So it may make sense to set
>> cache_dir to something under /tmp, lock_file to something under /var
>> or /run and everything else under /usr if that's what's desired.
>>

> Cool, I'm looking forward to v0.3.0 and beyond
> Why not use the new syntax? The recipe should reflect the version of the
> package.

A change to the lists_dir syntax isn't included in the patches I've
got prepared. Perhaps you could send a patch to change this after I've
updated the opkg recipe to v0.2.3?

> Changing the lists_dir with 0.2.1 did not work for me. I can test the old
> syntax on 0.2.3 and see, if there is interest.
>
> Is there a reason why opkg-collateral.bb exists? And couldn't be merged with
> opkg?

opkg-collateral pre-dates my involvement with opkg and OE. We could
propose merging opkg-collateral.bb and opkg-config-base_1.0.bb into
the main opkg recipe, it could simplify things a little.

Thanks,

--
Paul Barker

Email: paul at paulbarker.me.uk