[OE-core] Broken NPM builds

Ilkka Myller ilkka.myller at nodefield.com
Wed Apr 26 20:31:52 UTC 2017

I’m the maintainer of meta-nodejs layer. The layer offers latest Node.js versions (current, LTS and end-of-life). As a member of Node.js core collaborator team, I’ve picked up the task of maintaining up-to-date Node.js offering for OE.

In addition to Node.js core packages the layer offers oe_runnpm command (from npm-base class) that allows running 100% standard npm with added capability to safely cross-compile native components on build host.
This command is analogous to oe_runmake from base class in OE core.

This design allows building static, immutable, OE-proper packages for Node.js based applications while still using standard npm installation process on the build host. This is where OE core npm class differs the most by-design.

meta-nodejs has chosen not to promote non-standard use of npm utility, npm repository or npm installation process.

However, as Michael Davis pointed out we can merge his patch allowing co-existence of both methods to meta-nodejs layer. I expect this to happen within few days if all goes well.