[oe] madwifi

Andrew Paulsen andrew.paulsen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 14:29:40 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, Justin Patrin <papercrane at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/4/06, Andrew Paulsen <andrew.paulsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone have any tips for including madwifi into a gpe-image build?
> >
> > I can "bitbake madwifi-ng" by itself and that appears to work.
> >
> > If I add
> > BOOTSTRAP_EXTRA_RDEPENDS = "madwifi-ng"
> > to my machine.conf, or add
> >
> > GPE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "madwifi-ng"
> > to my gpe-image.bb, I get an:
> >
> > "ERROR: Nothing provides runtime dependency madwifi-ng"
> >
> > Is there a better way to add packages to an image?
> >

> The problem you're facing is that you're adding only a runtime
> (install-time) dependency and not a compile-time dependency. If you're
> compiling in the .dev branch then this is likely a bug (if you're
> using BOOTSTRAP_EXTRA_RDEPENDS). If you're using the .oz354x branch
> then you need to add madwifi-ng to the DEPENDS of the file you're
> editing too.
>
> --
> Justin Patrin

Ok, I tried a few more things this morning, but I'm still getting
errors.  Here's what I'm working with:

OE Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION     = "1.6.3"
OE_REVISION    = "dbe2d7e445c33fd9403d6edaf6ec36d1857ada98"
TARGET_ARCH    = "arm"
TARGET_OS      = "linux"
MACHINE        = "compulab-pxa270"
DISTRO         = "generic"
DISTRO_VERSION = ".dev-snapshot-20061205"
TARGET_FPU     = "soft"
I am using the .oz354x branch of OE.

I first tried adding the following to my machine.conf file:
BOOTSTRAP_EXTRA_RDEPENDS = "madwifi-ng"
DEPENDS += "madwifi-ng"

Which promptly broke my build with a circular dependency:
ERROR: /stuff/org.openembedded.dev/packages/quilt/quilt-native_0.45.bb
depends on itself (eventually)
ERROR: upwards chain is: gpe-image (gpe-image) -> ipkg-native
(ipkg-native) -> pkgconfig-native (pkgconfig-native) ->
autoconf-native (autoconf-native) -> quilt-native (quilt-native) ->
madwifi-ng (madwifi-ng) -> ipkg-utils-native (ipkg-utils-native)

I then tried adding the following to my gpe-image.bb file:
GPE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "madwifi-ng"
DEPENDS += "madwifi-ng"

I also tried a few combinations of adding madwifi-ng to
GPE_EXTRA_INSTALL, DEPENDS, and RDEPENDS to gpe-image.bb to see if
dumb luck would help ... it didn't.

Other than the circular dependency error, I always get:
ERROR: Nothing provides runtime dependency madwifi-ng