[oe] How do you find a rev of OE that will build?

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 00:47:15 UTC 2007

Hello Grant,

Friday, December 21, 2007, 12:51:46 AM, you wrote:

> On 2007-12-19, Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:

>> I've been following the GettingStarted page trying to build
>> task-bask for about a week now, and I always hit errors due to
>> failed patches.  Here's the error du jour after doing a
>> pull/update about a half hour ago:
>>
>> [...]
>> NOTE: Running task 284 of 976 (ID: 650, /home/grante/quarq/oe/org.openembedded.dev/packages/python/python-native_2.5.1.bb, do_patch)
>> NOTE: package python-native-2.5.1: started
>> NOTE: package python-native-2.5.1-ml1: task do_patch: started
>> NOTE: Applying patch 'bindir-libdir.patch'
>> ERROR: Error in executing:
>> ERROR: Exception:__builtin__.CmdError Message:Command Error: exit status: 1  Output:
>> Applying patch bindir-libdir.patch
>> patching file Makefile.pre.in
>> Hunk #1 FAILED at 78.
>> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- rejects in file Makefile.pre.in
> [...]

> I updated today and tried again.  No joy.  python-native_2.5.1
> still fails when applying patches with the same error.

> Is there a way to tell bitbake to use an older version of the
> package -- presuming there are older versions that will build?

> Are packages in the .dev branch normally unbuildable for
> extended periods of time?  Should I not be trying to build
> using the .dev branch?

  No, anything on critical path to build a common embedded system
image can't be broken and unnoticed for long. I rebuilt python-native
for you:

NOTE: package python-native-2.5.1-ml1: task do_patch: started
NOTE: Applying patch 'bindir-libdir.patch'
NOTE: Applying patch 'cross-distutils.patch'
NOTE: Applying patch 'dont-modify-shebang-line.patch'
NOTE: Applying patch 'default-is-optimized.patch'
NOTE: package python-native-2.5.1-ml1: task do_patch: completed

      Anyway, as you see, it's not some dark magic failing, but merely
a patch application. So, why don't you look closer and see what
corrupts the data - your tar, a quilt built on your system, or your
kernel? ;-) And the best place to continue this is the bugtracker.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com