[oe] OEDEM Organisation, Planing, Scope

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Sun Jul 22 15:52:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 23:48 +0200, Holger Freyther wrote:
> I have the pleasure to 'organize' (you are lost!) the 2nd annual
> OpenEmbedded conference and some things that are set. If we organize
> it in the office of GMIT[1] we will have roughly 20 chairs to occupy.

Great, thanks for taking this on again! :)

> Date:
> 	July is almost over, August is bad due birthdays, the camp and
> approaching IFA deadlines. I would be happy with any date in october
> or september. Marcin said he would prefer september would that be
> okay with you.

September/October are good with me. I have various commitments which may
happen then so OEDEM needs to fix a date so I can try to ensure they
don't clash ;-).

> Timing:
>       - Should we meet for two, three, four days?

That depends on the programme. I think discussions on the various issues
will probably work over two days like last time, if we want to hack on
anything that would need extra time.

> Program:
>      - Should we try to have two days talking and two days of a mini
> sprint?

What would be the objectives of the sprint?

>      - Should we invite 'users' and have a Q&A session? Do we have
> enough people who would be interested?

This is something others need to answer. Would this be better done
online somehow? We would probably get more users that way?

>      - Create an e.V.? Who will do the paperwork? Who wants to be
> treauser, president, chief donk?

We *need* to setup some kind of organisation ASAP. At GUADEC there
seemed consensus that setting up anything involving American
corporations/law was a bad idea since most of the core devs are European
(with notable exceptions). I think this ruled out SPI.

The choices I see we're left with are e.V. or maybe something like a UK
Limited company. I haven't found much documentation on e.V. in English
which limits what I can do to help/advise there. I know a fair bit about
UK limited companies and can present the advantages/disadvantages of one
if that would help.

One big question is whether we want tax exempt/not for profit status?
Personally, I'm tempted to say not to bother due to the accounting costs
it imposes...

> People:
>      - The usual suspects Mickeyl, Koen, Marcin, Tomas, Richard,
> Florain, XorA?, Liam?, Laibsch, Gerwin, Braunschweig-Gang,...
>      - Anyone is welcome to drop by but it would be nice to know
> upfront who is going to join us.

I can confirm I'd like to come :).

> Social Program:
>         - We have drinking, dancing, sitting possibilities really
> close (tomas check the map for distances it is _really_ close). We
> can just go out and take it easy
>         - I would propose grand OE cooking session(s). Cooking your
> favorite dish for us.

That could be interesting :)

Cheers,

Richard