[oe] Getting Started -Makefile

Tobias Pflug tobias.pflug at gmx.net
Mon Nov 19 18:32:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 15:41 +0100, Holger Freyther wrote:
> Am 19.11.2007 um 13:08 schrieb David Farning:
>
> > This eliminates many of problems the new users have setting up bb
> > and oe.  There is no need to know any thing about svn of monotone.
>
> Hey,
>
> this is the issue you want to solve? IMO developers should know about
> how to build software and this includes getting the source. I think
> it is no use in hiding OpenEmbedded and BitBake behind a GNU Makefile.
>
> I have the feeling that the issue you want to solve needs to be
> solved by the distro/origanisation to provide a SDK so people can
> build software.
>
> z.
>
> PS: This doesn't change the fact that we need better documentation...

On first thought I completely agree. On second thought things often
go a bit different in real-life real working environments in companies.
With the ever present "time=money" dogma in mind it helps to have some
means to easily set up a working environment.

At some point however someone will have to set up a problem specific
build environment for the company/project/.. Integration work is a
must and can never be solved by OE.

So to conclude .. I think there is no point in trying to hide complexity
because if you want to do serious work with OE it /will/ get complex.
However making the setup/installation easier is always a good thing. One
way to do that would be to provide nice up-to-date packages with
all necessary dependencies. Some stuff is available already from what
I recall .. "OE and your distro" on the wiki ... Keeping those packages
working and up-to-date would be helpful I suppose. I will probably
have to look into that soon as I need to provide an SDK for my company
soon.