[oe] some RRECOMMENDed packages do not get included into the image

Stefan Buschmann s_buschmann at gmx.de
Sun Aug 2 10:50:55 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm experiencing problems with current SHR images as well. In my case,
everything gets built and the image is created successfully, but when I
boot into the system on my device, I get a few error messages like "no
sound device" for alsa, "no network card" etc., and the X server fails
to start. However the fso-daemons etc. seem to be working, or at least
starting, correctly.

I haven't been able to understand what is going wrong here, as I'm still
starting to learn how the whole openembedded/bitbake system works. I
turned on logging in the hope that I would find out why e.g. the
X-server is not starting, but found no helpful error messages in the
logs. I first thought it was a fault in my build system, but than I
started completely from scratch with the SHR-Makefile, and got the same
non-working image in the end. So, any tips on how to debug this?

Currently I'm working on the fso/milestone5.5 branch again, as this
still results in a working image. But I know that this is going to be
abandoned, soon...

Bye,

Stefan