[oe] OpenEmbedded toolchain census

Marco Cavallini koansoftware at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 17:19:52 UTC 2009

Koen,
thank you for answering.

> Let's answer a few questions first:
>
> * What do you mean with "toolchains"?

With the term 'toolchain' I simply mean a GNU/toolchain
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_toolchain)

> * What do you want to do with the resulting information?

Because I can get a arm-oabi toolchain doing

 MACHINE=collie bitbake meta-toolchain

I wonder if OE could be used for generic toolchain generation as many
other tools do.

> Angstrom will generate working toolchains for nearly every machine in
> OE, so you don't need to know about toolchains. More to the point, if
> you need to ask about them, you shouldn't be touching them :)

The purpose of this reseach is to understand and document how and how
many toolchain can be managed with OE. Results could be posted into wiki
if this effort will be appreciated.
The purpose of such toolchain could be, for example, to build any source
code or package outside OE environment.

If you have futher questions please ask :-)

Cordiali Saluti / Kindest Regards / mit freundlichen Grüssen
--
Marco Cavallini | KOAN sas | Bergamo - Italia
 embedded and real-time software engineering