[oe] getting bitbake-1.8.12 for the org.openembedded.dev branch?

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl
Sat Jul 25 19:55:16 UTC 2009

Dnia sobota, 25 lipca 2009 o 15:01:20 Robert P. J. Day napisał(a):

Greame already replied but I want to write as stable/2009 creator.

> the problem is that the precedent has already been set by having
> bitbake in the stable/2009 branch and, based on the principle of least
> surprise, you shouldn't suddenly yank something out of a branch if
> developers are used to seeing it there.
>
> for consistency, either bitbake should be included in an OE checkout,
> or it shouldn't.  it shouldn't depend on which branch you're working
> with.  that way lies confusion.

Bitbake is moving target. OE.dev can be used with Bitbake 1.8.12 release
or Bitbake 1.8 branch or Bitbake trunk (master on git server or 1.9.x in
numbering).

We do not know what tomorrow will bring - maybe OE.dev will start to
require Bitbake 1.8.14 as minimal version and will work fine with HEAD
of 1.9 (aka master) branch. This will require developers to update their
Bitbake to newer.

For stable/2009 branch we require 1.8.12 version as it was minimal
version required by OE.dev branch at that time. We do not know will it
work with 1.8.14 or any newer release - maybe it will, maybe it will
generate unbootable images. Thats why Bitbake was added in that branch.

Again: OE.dev works with many versions of Bitbake and developer can
choose any of working ones (1.8.12, 1.8-HEAD, master-HEAD) for his
builds. For stable/2009 we support only included 1.8.12 version.

Regards,
JID:      hrw at jabber.org
Website:  http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcinjuszkiewicz