[oe] Advice needed on using Bitbake to make qt project (.pro) Click to flag this post

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger+oe at freyther.de
Thu Jul 30 07:22:10 UTC 2009

On Thursday 30 July 2009 08:23:29 Stuart Gray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to using Bitbake and would like to ask if anyone has links to
> examples on how to get Bitbake to build Qt projects.
>
> I have successfully used Bitbake to add firmware files to my image, but I
> am about to look at building Qt projects into the image. I have already
> added the Qt Embedded package to the image.
>
> Any advice would be great as I have very tight project timescales and I am
> trying to reduce risk as far as possible. I have been through the Bitbake
> example and searched online for examples. From what I understand I should
> just be able to add the .cpp, .h and .pro files to the SRC_URI list. Now I
> know from reading up on Bitbake that if the SRC_URI contains a makefile
> that Bitbake will recognise this and use it to compile the code, but is the
> same true if it contains a .pro file. Will it call qmake and then make?

The most simple example of a qmake based Qt4 project would be qsvn. The simple
line of inherit qt4x11 will make sure your dependencies (Qt4 X11, qmake) get
installed.

On the SRC_URI. Normally you either fetch a tarball, or from a SCM. If you
want to pass all source files individually with SRC_URI you need to adjust the
S variable to make qmake, etc. find the sources. Examples for that is
shasum/shasum.inc. (Not the S = "${WORKDIR}").

Normally I encourage people to either fetch from a SCM or to use tarballs.

kind regards
	holger