[oe] [Angstrom-devel] OMAP3530 bring-up (and installation of Angstrom)

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Thu Jun 25 20:04:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:41:03PM +0400, Sergey Lapin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko<denis at denix.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:50:41PM +0400, Sergey Lapin wrote:
> >> Hi, all!
> >>
> >> I have a new OMAP3530-based board which is totally empty.
> >> omapzoom tools recognize ASIC ID on serial port, so I think it should
> >> be possible
> >> to bring it up this way. Do anybody have some minimal testing program
> >> to flip some GPIO,
> >> or character on serial?
> >> I can't get any output from x-loader on either UART1 or UART3.. How
> >> should I build binary for
> >> it to be recognized by boot loader over serial?
> >> No JTAG is here for this processor, and I have some troubles with
> >> understanding of
> >> Windows tools.
> >
> > Does your board have any buttons or DIP-switches to select boot order? You may
> > need to select the serial boot in order for the BootROM to send a handshake
> > sequence on the UART3. The handshake on the therminal looks like several
> > characters of garbage, starting with '40T'. The boot order is selected by a
> > DIP-switch on OMAP3EVM and by a "User" button on BeagleBoard.
> I probably skipped some details on last email, sorry. I see ASIC ID
> pattern (some garbage containing 40T).
> I use pserial from omapzoom and try to upload self-built x-loader
> binary, it reports success,
> but I see no output on either of serial ports. No error messages,
> nothing at all. That's why I'm interested in
> minimal test program to use oscilloscope on some pins. I see that GPIO
> configuration on OMAP3 is a lot
> more complex than on AT91 and PXA, so I look for samples to check what
> debugging could be inserted into
> x-loader to look what happens. Also, a question remains - is it needed
> for binary to be signed
> befor uploading to serial, or not?

Yes, x-load/MLO need to be "signed". OMAP35x "signing" is just adding a
header, see signGP tool:
http://beagleboard.googlecode.com/files/signGP.c

It's not that simple for OMAP34x, though...

Check the x-load build/sign procedures here:
http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleSoftCompile

--
Denys