[oe] linux-omap-psp-2.6.32 breaks iscsi-target

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 18:56:14 UTC 2010

2010/8/30 Philip Balister <philip at balister.org>:
> On 08/30/2010 02:35 PM, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

>>> What is iscsi and why would I need it on the Beagleboard?
>>
>> http://stgt.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> the pacakge is from
>> http://iscsitarget.sourceforge.net/
>> It is used by tgt (http://stgt.sourceforge.net/)
>>
>> with it you can e.g. mount an iscsi disk.
>> iscsi is for instance also supported by windows 7 and by various NAS-es.
>> Its throughput is better than Samba or NFS.
>>
>> So for beagle it could act as mechanism to e.g. retrieve content from a
>> NAS.
>
> So the trade off is a kernel that has the best chance of fully supporting
> the OMAP3 peripherals, or attaching to a NAS that is windows centric.

If you had taken the time to read the links I gave you would know it
is absolutely not windows centric. Far from that.
And I am not saying we should change the kernel. Probably the best
solution is to have a patch that undoes the effects from the .33 patch
that crept into the kernel.
Another option could be to give the kernel a different version number.
It is not a real .32 kernel, but probably making it .33 rc1 is not a
good choice either.

Btw I have no idea what other packages are broken due to this.

> The point I am trying to make is we can't expect all packages to build for
> every MACHINE/DISTRO combination. People have to make tradeoffs.

Yes, and if fixes are possible then why not repair things.
I think being able to access an iscsi nas could be beneficial.
(e.g. when using the beagle as a mythtv frontend)

Frans