[oe] [RFC] recipes/images/${distro}

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 18:40:32 UTC 2010

2010/2/27 Marcin Juszkiewicz <marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl>:
> Dnia sobota, 27 lutego 2010 o 18:21:58 Frans Meulenbroeks napisał(a):
>> One could do:
>> BBFILES = "${OE}/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/*/${DISTRO}/*.bb"
>> BBFILES += "${OE}/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/*/*.bb"
>
> BBFILES = "${OE}/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/" is supported since I do not
> remember when.
>
> Making extra levels in recipes/ dir was discussed so many times that it makes
> me sad when I see yet another discussion about it which will change nothing.
>
> Images/ directory never had sensible naming. "angstrom-gnome-image" is smaller
> then "angstrom-x-image", x11-image is another version of gpe-image (content is
> other but result is same - user lands in GPE + Matchbox v1). If you want to
> have kind of order there then start creating "frans-really-minimal", "frans-
> basic-x11-without-gtk-but-small-as-possible", "frans-x11-gpe-mb1", "frans-x11-
> gnome" etc images.
>
> This directory is dump of recipes created by many developers, some of them are
> probably 5-6 years old. There are many recipes for images outside of our
> repository (like bug-image-production for example or those which generate 1GB
> sized rootfs from Montavista). I have on disk image recipe which generate
> package which I use to generate final image. Etc, ETc, ETC...
>
> So generally I am against moving recipes which mention angstrom to
> recipes/angstrom/ just because they contain 'angstrom' word inside. If I will
> push "umbaumba-magic-image" recipe will you opt for moving it to
> recipes/umbaumba just because I wrote it for my internal-no-one-saw-it-and-
> who-knows-does-it-exists-at-all distribution?

Ah well,
I just wanted to suggest a more sensible and clear naming scheme and
clean up a little bit, but apparently this is not appreciated :-(
(and yes, I also think it makes sense to remove old orphaned unused
5-year-old recipes, but guess I'm alone here too).
Guess I'd better not propose to remove some of those 26 (yes,
twenty-six!) glib recipes (or 8 abiword recipes )
Nevermind.

FM