[oe] Examples of srctree and gitver

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Sun May 30 19:49:32 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Ambrose, Martin <martin at ti.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 11:16:16, Chris Larson wrote:
>
> > On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Ambrose, Martin <martin at ti.com> wrote:
>
> > > Are there any recipes/examples which use these classes?
> >
> > I expect they'd be most useful in development, so no, I don't know of any
> > examples in an OE tree today.
>
> Makes sense.
>
> > It's pretty straightforward.  Add inherit
> > srctree, point S at your local source tree (or put the recipe inside the
> > sourcetree, it defaults to the dir the recipe is in), and it'll build
> from
> > that local tree rather than doing the fetch+unpack+patch process.
>
> Ack. I now think of the class as providing a 'skip' to the
> fetch+unpack+patch
> steps but everything afterwards is then vanilla OE.

Yeah, that's the idea, and is the only reason the class needs to exist --
otherwise you could just point S to a local directory in the recipe and not
need it.  Aside: the way it does so is quite the hack, we need to figure out
a better way to manipulate the task graph like this.

Ideally I could have a single set of recipes which, through some command
> line switches,
> would either build in-tree using local sources or out-of-tree using a
> tarball.
> But maybe this really requires separate recipes with commonality factored
> into includes.

It would be possible to add a variable to toggle the behavior of the class,
but it isn't there today.  Note, you *should* be able to use an amend.inc
(w/ INHERIT += amend) to switch an existing recipe in an existing overlay
without modifying the recipe itself, which I could being quite useful to
temporarily switch it over and then back again, but I haven't tested that
myself.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com