[oe] multiple kernels and images

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 14:15:51 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm faced with the following problem:
I need two kernels for my machine. One kernel will be a lightweight
kernel (to reduce loading time) which boots then flashes the real
kernel to NAND.

To create two images I tricked a little bit and created two recipes
(using require of course).
As these have different names (linux-A_2.6.34.bb and
linux-B_2.6.34.bb) I can give them different dirs and different
defconfigs
(linux-A/defconfig resp linux-B/defconfig).

So far so good, but how do I now get the right kernel in my sd card image.
Basically both recipes create a package kernel, so adding kernel to
the image does not work.
Anyone an idea on how to fix this?

Additional remarks:

I'm aware of multi-kernel.inc but that still seems to leave me with
the problem how to add the kernel to my image

I can also create a 2nd machine in which case maybe things can be made
to work, but that seems a fairly ugly hack (and still might give me a
selection problem).
Hence looking for a better solution.

BTW wouldn't it be better to have the linux recipes package things
(also?) in linux-A_2.6.34-r1_${MACHINE}.ipk or something like that
instead of kernel_2.6.34-r1_${MACHINE}.ipk.
Then an image could explicitly state the kernel recipe it wants to use
(and virtual/kernel could be used to specify the default kernel).

Your ideas/feedback is appreciated.

Thanks alot!
Frans.