[oe] bitbake does not fail when QA issues encountered

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 15:26:37 UTC 2011

2011/2/4 Tom Rini <tom_rini at mentor.com>:
> On 02/04/2011 02:57 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
>
>> What I see is a lack of interest in fixing the existing QA errors.
>> I've sent out a few error reports to the list a while ago, (on recipes
>> that I feel not comfortable with), but unfortunately that did not
>> result in any action :-(
>
> I want to address this by itself for a moment.
>
> Do you have time to grow your comfort level?  Did you find the (nominal)
> maintainer unresponsive?  If we want to star making more things fatal we
> need a few more of the people that are willing to go off and work on
> everything.  The top-of-my-head count is 5 people and we've all always got a
> lot on our plates.
>
> I'll admit it looks daunting when you start at it, but it's just software
> and at worst it'll just not build on your machine for a while :)

The recipes at hand are:
binutils: I don't feel like touching that one.
cups: there is someone bitching about that this is 1.2, but he
apparently prefers bitching upon resolving the issue. Probably the
best solution is to drop the DP = -1 from the 1.4.4 recipe
libsdl-x11: not really sure what it does or who maintains it (actually
somewhat surprised that it is used in console-image)
python-sqlite3: also not really sure who maintains it.

And yes, I could try to fix these myself. I used to work on everything
and tried to fix things that were left dangling, but some people in
the community are so unforgiving and negative if you make a mistake
(which can happen if you work on something new to you), so I basically
gave up doing that.
(and yes, I know if it is something you're not familiar with a patch
can be posted to the list, but unfortunately lots of times patches
(especially for areas that are less mainstream) the response on posted
patches is nil).

I am just reporting this as result of the weekly testing effort and I
have no direct interest in these recipes.

Have a nice weekend!
Frans.