[oe] Openembedded and ld-linux-armhf.so.3

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri Apr 27 15:04:16 UTC 2012

On 4/27/12 7:38 AM, Martin Ertsås wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm working on a pandaboard with OMAP4460. Were trying to use the newest
> PVR drivers, which conforms to the result that arose from
> https://wiki.linaro.org/OfficeofCTO/HardFloat/LinkerPathCallApr2012
>
> We have applied the patch at the bottom of that page gcc, and also a
> patch for making eglibc make ld-linux-armhf, and load ld-linux-armhf
> instead of ld-linux. Problem is, this gives us a kernel panic when it
> tries to run init. Linking ld-linux.so.3 to ld-linux-armhf.so.3 does not
> work, and we're kind of in the dark as to what is missing.
>
> We tried fixing this by renaming the toolchain to be
> arm-none-linux-gnueabihf instead of arm-none-linux-gnueabi, as we heard
> this might be a problem with hardfloats, but this needed a lot of extra
> patches, and some patchwork on other packages like openssl and shadow.
>
> My question is, are there any ongoing plans to fix this, and make sure
> that if we have set hard float we make ld-linux-armhf in openembedded?
>
> For the record we are using eglibc2.15 and gcc4.6 from openembedded-core.

The ARM EABI + HF isn't well tested (to my knowledge) of oe-core.  I was under
the impressions a few people did use it, and it was working successfully for
them.  (Generally speaking people seem to agree that there is a place for ARM
EABI + HF, but the performance increase to the couple of items where it helps is
generally not worth the pain of incompatibility with the core ARM EABI.  Thus
it's not used very much in OE.)

Could you verify that the stock configuration (without any of the changes you
described above) is working and will boot w/o a kernel panic at init?

If so then it'll be easier to help you track down the particulars of the ld.so
name change and related items.

--Mark