[oe] Openembedded and ld-linux-armhf.so.3

Martin Ertsås martiert at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 15:08:14 UTC 2012

On 04/27/12 17:04, Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 4/27/12 7:38 AM, Martin Ertsås wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I'm working on a pandaboard with OMAP4460. Were trying to use the newest
>> PVR drivers, which conforms to the result that arose from
>> https://wiki.linaro.org/OfficeofCTO/HardFloat/LinkerPathCallApr2012
>>
>> We have applied the patch at the bottom of that page gcc, and also a
>> patch for making eglibc make ld-linux-armhf, and load ld-linux-armhf
>> instead of ld-linux. Problem is, this gives us a kernel panic when it
>> tries to run init. Linking ld-linux.so.3 to ld-linux-armhf.so.3 does not
>> work, and we're kind of in the dark as to what is missing.
>>
>> We tried fixing this by renaming the toolchain to be
>> arm-none-linux-gnueabihf instead of arm-none-linux-gnueabi, as we heard
>> this might be a problem with hardfloats, but this needed a lot of extra
>> patches, and some patchwork on other packages like openssl and shadow.
>>
>> My question is, are there any ongoing plans to fix this, and make sure
>> that if we have set hard float we make ld-linux-armhf in openembedded?
>>
>> For the record we are using eglibc2.15 and gcc4.6 from
>> openembedded-core.
>
> The ARM EABI + HF isn't well tested (to my knowledge) of oe-core.  I
> was under the impressions a few people did use it, and it was working
> successfully for them.  (Generally speaking people seem to agree that
> there is a place for ARM EABI + HF, but the performance increase to
> the couple of items where it helps is generally not worth the pain of
> incompatibility with the core ARM EABI.  Thus it's not used very much
> in OE.)
>
> Could you verify that the stock configuration (without any of the
> changes you described above) is working and will boot w/o a kernel
> panic at init?
>
> If so then it'll be easier to help you track down the particulars of
> the ld.so name change and related items.
>
> --Mark
It does work without the said changes, but did see an error in my patch,
which resulted in gcc linking to /lib/lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3. I'm
currently compiling with the fixed patch, but at work so I won't be able
to see if that was the issue before I get to work on monday.

The problem with calling the toolchain arm-none-linux-gnueabihf will not
be resolved by this though, but first thing for me now is to be able to
use the ld-linux-armhf.

-- Martin