[oe] ODROID-C1 support

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu May 21 21:18:07 UTC 2015

> On May 21, 2015, at 11:26 AM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> On 05/05/15 11:40, Christian Ege wrote:
>> I've created a BSP Layer for the ODROID-C1 and other Amlogic based
>> devices like the Wetek.Play
>>
>> https://github.com/linux-meson/meta-amlogic
>
> Thanks! I've been playing with your layer. For the most part it's going
> well. I've noticed a small glitch, however, and I'm not 100% sure how to
> fix it (otherwise I would have just sent you a github pull request).
>
> If I have your layer added to the BBLAYERS mix but I'm _not_ building
> for "odroidc1" (or "wetekplay", I assume) then I get an error because
> the build system can't find the amlsetfb.sh file. You have two
> "amlsetfb.sh" files, one for the odroidc1 and one for the wetekplay
> which you've added to recipes-core/initscripts/odroidc1 and
> recipes-core/initscripts/wetekplay. If the MACHINE is odroidc1 then the
> recipes-core/initscripts/odroidc1/amsetfb.sh file is found, otherwise it
> is not.
>
> I can work around this issue by adding a MACHINE-specific override to
> your initscripts_1.%.bbappend:
>
> -SRC_URI_append = " file://amlsetfb.sh \
> +SRC_URI_append_odroidc1 = " file://amlsetfb.sh \
>
> but I'm guessing another override would be required for the wetekplay as
> well.
>
> Why would someone include your layer and not build for odroidc1 or
> wetekplay? Sometimes that's what people do ;-) (look at Angstrom, for
> example). Besides, a BSP layer should be able to play nicely with other
> layers even when its machines aren't being used :-)

This is very much desirable, in todays times. In angstrom e.g. we want to generalize feeds across
many machines for arm especially, so we can share common feeds across multiple armv7a machines
so BSP maintainers have to start thinking that their BSP layer will be put along with other BSP layers
and they not change common components mindlessly to fit for just one given machine.

secondly more and more end users especially big companies have more than 1 machine tied into their useless
so its desirable for them to use one distro across all the product lines and hence a requirement to have
BSP layers play well with each others.