[oe] meta-java Workflow

Otavio Salvador otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br
Wed Jan 13 18:38:06 UTC 2016

Hello Jens,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Jens Rehsack <rehsack at gmail.com> wrote:
> to avoid such a problem as it occurred with ec7b984f, 04d5d0bf and dfb21b44, I strongly suggest that meta-java follows the merge-workflow from other meta-layers:
>
> cherry-pick new stuff into master-next, when settled - merge to master
> Branch releases as other layers do and same, push back-ported patches into ${rel_branch}-next and merge the behaving ones into ${rel_branch}.
>
> The current way - pushing to master and live only there result in the happened revert - and to continue my work I would have to revert the reverts without any nice word in the commit message as I did in reverting 24b98ac3 with a88718b6.

I understand your frustation but I think you are exagerating on this.

The fix you provide (and was reverted by causing regression at that
moment) is a great improvement and those should be brought back. To
bring it back, as I explained on the Hangout, you can revert those and
apply the fix for the sstate. Doing this, we can integrate those
changes back and everyone is happy.

To make all this setup you are asking for, I need to reserve resources
in our autobuilder to properly excercize it and provide useful
feedback otherwise it is useless. To be honest, I am not being an
active user of this and been acting as maintainer just due the lack of
someone more active so I am willing to give the maintenance for
someone more commited to Java use than me, if desired.