[oe] [meta-java] rxtx fails to build because of upstream website dead

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Sat May 20 15:21:12 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Romain Bazile
<romain.bazile at ubiant.com> wrote:
> Due to the chronic instability of this website, would it make sense to
> include the source file directly into the meta-java layer as a zip file?

My guess is the project would not be happy about a large zip file in a
git repository. If a patch becomes too big, or if a recipe needs too
many patches, the general consensus is to create a repository with the
patches and keep the metadata small. On the other hand, exceptions
abound.

> I don't know about best practices surrounding this, I kindly apologize if
> it's strictly forbidden! Otherwise, I'm happy to submit a PR including the
> file and the necessary changes to the recipes (in concerned branches).

The yoctoproject maintains a source mirror, the best bet is to ask
that the sources be mirrored there. The recipe will probably be
expected to stay as-is, and the yocto backup used if/when the primary
is down.